Local Community Resources
These orgs are here to help.
Virginia CommonHelp can help you apply for help:
- Child care services: Financial assistance is provided to eligible families to help with the cost of child care so they can work or attend educational programs.
- Energy Assistance (Fuel, crisis, or cooling): Get help with your energy bills.
- Food Assistance (SNAP): SNAP can be used to buy eligible food items with a EBT card.
- Temporary Cash Assistance for Families with Minor Children (TANF)
- Medicaid for you and your children
- Other services
Mobility and Other Assistive Devices and Services
- Access Independence provides mobility equipment (e.g. housing modifications, wheelchairs, etc.), deaf and hard of hearing services, peer mentoring, and other support services.
- FREE Foundation provides mobility-related rehabilitation equipment, e.g. walkers, canes, bath aids, manual and power wheelchairs, and other aids.
Legal Services, Service Navigation
Disability Advocacy and Resources, e.g. home help, medical coverage
Prenatal and Family Support
- Healthy Families of Northern Shenandoah Valley has evidence-based programs that help families raise happy and healthy kids. They also provide free baby items, parenting classes, and in-home services to give families the support they deserve.
- C-CAP: baby clothing, diapers and other material support
- Valley Health’s Virtual 5-Week Childbirth Education Class
- Valley Health’s Newborn Care Class
- Valley Health’s Breastfeeding: What to expect
- Infant CPR Class
- Valley Health’s New Mom Support Group: Are you a new mom who is feeling anxious, sad, irritable or just not like yourself? Even if this is not your first baby, you may be experiencing a range of emotions, physical adjustments and unexpected stress. This free support group offers an opportunity to share your experiences with other moms who may have similar challenges.
- Postpartum Support Virginia offers (currently online) support groups to help new and expectant mothers and their families overcome anxiety, depression, and other Perinatal Mood & Anxiety Disorders.
- La Leche League of Northern Shenandoah Valley offers education and support for breastfeeding, chestfeeding, or mixed feeding moms. Join their Facebook group to learn more.